Even with a big display present in smartphones nowadays, sometimes, the font size seems tiny, especially for senior citizens or people with vision problems. Thankfully, it’s quite easy to enlarge text on your Android phone. You can do it by changing the text size settings, making text bold, using magnification, and other features. Let’s check different ways to make text bigger on Android phones.
1. From Font Size Settings
Follow these steps to make font text bigger on Android phones:
1. Open Settings on your Android phone.
2. Go to Display followed by Display size and text. You can access this page from Settings > Accessibility > Display size and text as well.
3. Move the slider under Font size towards the right to increase the font size on your Android phone. You will see a live preview of how the text looks at each size. Leave it in the text size that you would like to use.
That’s it. Go back and you will see enlarged text on your Android phone.
Note: On Samsung Galaxy phones, go to Settings > Display > Font size and style to change the text size.
2. From Display Size Settings
If you want to make everything big on your Android phone i.e., icons and text, you need to change the display size.
For that, repeat steps 1 and 2 of the above method i.e., go to Settings > Display > Display size and text. Now, move the slider under Display Size to the right to make things like text bigger on your Android phone.
Note: On Samsung phones, go to Settings > Accessibility > Visibility enhancements. Select Large display under Display mode.
3. Make Text Bold
If the text still feels small, you can make it more prominent and bigger by using bold formatting. For that, go to Settings > Display > Display size and text. Enable the toggle next to Bold text.
Tip: Learn how to identify fonts in Android.
4. By Changing Font Style (Samsung Only)
On some Android phones like those from Samsung, you can change the font style. So if the default font seems smaller, you can use a bigger or better font style according to your preference.
1. Open Settings on your Samsung Galaxy phone.
2. Go to Display followed by Font size and style.
3. Tap on Font style and select a new font from the available options. Alternatively, tap on Download Fonts to download new fonts from the Galaxy Store on your phone.
Tip: On Samsung Galaxy phones, go to Settings > Accessibility > Visibility enhancements to change other display settings like highlight buttons, high contrast theme, etc., that could help in making text visible on your phone.
5. Using Magnification
Another way to make text bigger on Android phones is by magnifying the text whenever you want. Suppose, you have difficulty reading something on your phone. All you need to do is press the Magnification shortcut and use the magnification gesture to magnify text and other things on your phone.
To enable and use magnification on Android phones, follow these steps:
1. On your Android phone, open Settings.
2. Go to Accessibility followed by Magnification.
3. Tap on the Magnification shortcut text to select the shortcut. You can use the floating accessibility button, volume keys, or triple tap gesture to enable magnification.
4. Once the shortcut has been assigned, use the shortcut on the desired page to enable magnification. Then, tap on the screen once and pinch with 2 fingers to zoom the screen. Drag the screen with two fingers to move it around. Use the shortcut again to turn off magnification.
Please note that the steps to use magnification may differ on each device. Kindly read the instructions on the Magnification page to know how to use it.
Note: On Samsung phones, go to Settings > Accessibility > Visibility enhancements > Magnification.
6. Change Font Size Within Apps
Some popular apps like Messages, Chrome browser, WhatsApp, etc., offer a native feature to change text size. Let’s learn how to enlarge text on Android in Messages, Chrome, and WhatsApp.
Change Font Size in Text Messages on Android
You can easily make text bigger in messaging apps like Google Messages, Samsung Messages, etc., by using a gesture. Open the conversation whose text size you want to change. Then, use the pinch-out gesture to increase the font size. If the font size is too big, use a pinch-in gesture to make the text smaller.
If the gesture doesn’t work, go to Messages settings within the Messages app. Enable the toggle next to ‘Pinch to zoom conversation text’.
Tip: Learn how to use Google Messages on the web like a pro.
Make Word Bigger in Chrome Browser
Follow these steps to make text bigger in Chrome on Android phones:
1. Open the Chrome browser on your Android phone.
2. Tap on the three-dot icon at the top-right corner and select Settings.
3. Go to Accessibility. Move the Text scaling slider towards the right to make the font bigger in Chrome.
Make WhatsApp Text Bigger on Android
Use these steps to make WhatsApp chat font size bigger on Android phones:
1. Open WhatsApp on your Android phone.
2. Tap the three-dot icon and press Settings.
3. Go to Chats followed by Font size. Select Large.
Note: This setting will only make text bigger inside chats. To change text size in WhatsApp settings or other screens, you need to follow method 1. Also, learn how to change the font in WhatsApp.
7. Using High Contrast Text
You can also use the high-contrast text feature to make your text stand out. While this method will not make the text bigger, it makes the text easier to read by maximizing contrast with the background.
Go to device Settings > Display > Display size and text. Enable the toggle next to High contrast text.
Note: On Samsung Galaxy phones, go to Settings > Accessibility > Visibility enhancements. Enable High contrast fonts.
8. Using Third-Party Apps
If the native font size options do not meet your needs, you can use third-party apps to enlarge text size. These apps let you increase the font size beyond the default limits.
1. Install and open the Big Font by AppLife team on your phone.
2. You will be asked to grant system permission to modify settings.
3. The app will show you the current font size. Scroll down and tap on the Apply button on the text size that you want to use.
Tip: You can also use the Big Font app by Sam Lu to make text bigger on Android phones.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Does Android have text-to-speech?
Yes, all Android phones come with a native text-to-speech feature where you need to select any text on the screen and your phone will read it loud. You will find it in Settings > Accessibility under the names of TalkBack and Select to Speak.
2. How to resize the keyboard on Android?
If Gboard is your default keyboard, go to Gboard Settings > Preferences > Keyboard height. Similarly, go to Samsung Keyboard settings > Size and transparency. Change the size of the keyboard. Check out another method to resize Samsung Keyboard.
That’s how you can make text bigger on Android phones. If you are an avid Instagram user, learn how to change the font in the Instagram bio. And if you own an iPhone, know how to change the font size on your iPhone.