In this guide, we will discover: How to Change AirDrop Name on iPhone, iPad & Mac – Easy Beginners Guide 2023
So, let’s begin!
This guide covers the detail on how to change your AirDrop name on iPhone, iPad, and Mac. To personalize and keep the names distinct for ease in transferring files, you may opt for changing the AirDrop name.
Airdrop is a feature to wirelessly share files between Apple devices such as iPhones, iPads, and Mac computers. Using this users can easily send photos, videos, documents, and other files to nearby Apple devices. This can be done without using any cables or an internet connection.
How AirDrop Works?
To use Airdrop, users have to enable the feature on their devices. They must also enable Bluetooth and Wi-Fi on their Apple iPhone/iPad/Mac. They can then select the file they wish to share and choose the option to share via Airdrop. The receiving device will be prompted to accept the file transfer.
Airdrop combines Wi-Fi and Bluetooth technology to establish a peer-to-peer connection between the devices. This ensures a secure and encrypted file transfer. If it is your first time using AirDrop here are the step to enable it on your iPhone.
- Access the Control center of the iPhone [swipe down from the top right for iPhone without touch ID]
- For iPhones with Touch ID swipe up from the bottom of the screen to open the Control Center.
- Tap on the upper left section that has the connectivity icons. Within that, you will see the icon for AirDrop.
- Tap on AirDrop and set it to Contacts Only. This will enable AirDrop.
- To disable AirDrop, select the option Receiving Off.
1. How to Change Your AirDrop Name on iPhone?
Changing the AirDrop name on iPhone is a bit different than that on iPad or Mac. Only changing the device name on the iPhone would not change the AirDrop name. You have to change your Contact card. Here are the steps for that.
- Launch the Phone app.
- Tap on Contacts.
- Next, tap on your Contact Card.
- Tap on Edit > enter the new name in the concerned field.
- Once finished, tap on Done to save the changes.
If a contact on your iPhone has your contact card saved, then they will see the updated AirDrop name when they try to receive the files via AirDrop.
If a device doesn’t have the contact of the sender saved on it, changing the device name will be sufficient. The device name will reflect when exchanging files using AirDrop.
2. How to Change Your AirDrop Name on iPad?
To change the AirDrop name on an iPad, you can change the iPad device name. Here are the steps for that.
- Launch the Settings app.
- Go to General and tap on it.
- Under that tap on About > Name.
- Enter the new name you want to set for the AirDrop.
3. Change AirDrop Name on a Mac
Similar to the iPad, if you change the name of your MacBook, then the same name will be reflected as the AirDrop name.
- On your Mac screen, click the Apple icon.
- From the menu select System Settings.
- Select General > About.
- Click on Name and enter the new name you want to keep.
- It is suggested to restart the Mac to successfully integrate the changes you made.
These are the respective methods for changing the AirDrop name on your iPhone, iPad, and Mac computer. When you have multiple devices and you use them regularly for sending or receiving files through AirDrop, it is better to change the names to something simpler for convenience.