In this guide, we will discover: How to Delete Instagram Account & How to Verify Deleted IG Account? – Easy Beginners Guide 2023
So, let’s begin!
In this modern digital age, Instagram has become one of the most popular social media platforms. Widely used and an integral part of our daily life, Instagram has 1.21 billion monthly active users, nearly 28 percent of the world’s internet users.
The ease of use and array of features make it an interesting platform. However, there may come a time when some users may choose to delete their Instagram accounts. Deleting an Instagram account can be due to various reasons, including a break from social media, privacy concerns, or more.
The process of deleting your Instagram account may seem tedious, but it is a very simple process. While you delete your Instagram account, ensuring it is completely deleted along with all the associated data is important. However, if you feel the process is confusing, we have got it all resolved for you in the article below. And once you have deleted your Instagram account, we will also discuss steps to verify that the account has been deleted.
Deleting an Instagram Account| Step-By-Step Process
Deleting an Instagram account is an easy process. All you need to do is:
- Launch the Instagram Application on your Smartphone. Or, on your web browser, reach Instagram.com.
- Now Log in to your Instagram account and tap on your Profile picture (circular icon) in the bottom right corner of the screen.
- Further, tap on the three horizontal lines in the top right corner and navigate to Settings.
- Next, tap on Accounts Centre and then select the option Personal details.
- Here, follow by tapping on Account Ownership and Control and then tap on Deactivation or Deletion.
- Now Click the account you want to delete permanently.
- Further, tap on Delete account and then tap on Continue.
However, it is important to note that you won’t be able to delete your account from the Accounts Centre right away. It takes 30 days for your account deletion request for your Instagram account to be permanently deleted.
Also, please note that Instagram may take up to 90 days to delete all your account data from their servers. So even when you can see the message “Sorry, this page isn’t available,” the process from Instagram’s backend takes a long. And if you try to log in to your account during the 90-day deletion period, it may reactivate the account and, thus, avoid doing so.
How to verify whether your Instagram account is permanently deleted?
If you are skeptical about whether your Instagram account is permanently deleted or not, here is how you can verify the same:
- Check from someone else’s Instagram Account
Ask your friend or family to open their Instagram account and search for your Profile. If you don’t find your account, it has been permanently deleted.
- Or, try to log in to your Instagram Account.
Simply launch Instagram Application or go to Instagram.com. Here enter your Instagram username and password. If you receive a pop-up stating, “Sorry, this page isn’t available.” It means that your account is permanently deleted.
How to temporarily deactivate your Instagram Account?
If you do not wish to delete your Instagram account permanently, you can choose to deactivate it temporarily. Doing so will help you remove your Profile from the application until you want to use it back. Temporarily deactivating your Instagram account hides your Profile, photos, comments, and likes until your login is back. However, it is important to know that users can deactivate their Instagram account only once weekly.
Here’s the Step-By-Step guide to doing so:
- Login into your Instagram account through its mobile-based application or web browser.
- Now Click your profile picture in the bottom right corner of the screen.
- Next, tap on Profile and then tap on Edit Profile.
- Further, scroll down the list of options and then tap on Temporarily deactivate my account.
- Now, you need to select an option from the drop-down menu given beside Why are you deactivating your account? The option of deactivating an Instagram account only appears when you select a reason from the menu. Here you will be asked to re-enter your password and thus do so.
- Lastly, tap on Temporarily deactivate account -> Yes to confirm/ No to cancel.
Can deleted Instagram accounts be recovered?
No, as per policy, Instagram, you cannot recover the account that once has been permanently deleted. Instead, users can create a new account to use Instagram again.
For creating a new Instagram Account:
- First, download the Instagram Application from Google Play Store(Android) or App Store (iPhone) and install it on your device.
- Now launch the application, tap Create New Account, fill in your email address or mobile number, and enter a password. Fill in other details, including Birthdate, etc. Doing so is important since Instagram doesn’t allow someone under 13 years to create an account.
- Now tap Next, create your Instagram Username, and tap Next again. After going through Instagram’s terms and policies, tap on I agree.
- You can add a Profile picture and bio and use the Instagram application.
Instagram Account Delete/Disable FAQs
Will my followers be notified if I delete my Instagram account?
No, if you delete your Instagram account, Instagram doesn’t notify your followers or those you follow.
Can I download my Instagram data before deleting my account?
Yes, you can download a copy of your Instagram data before deleting your account. To do so:
- Go to your Instagram profile, tap the three horizontal lines, and select Settings.
- Now tap on Privacy and Security and then tap on the option Data download -> Request download.
- Now enter the email you wish to receive details for your Instagram data and then select from HTML or JSON, depending upon the format you would like to receive the data in.
- Further, tap Next, enter your Instagram account password, and then tap Request Download. Within some time, you will receive an email titled Your Instagram Data, from where you can download all the data on your device.
Can I use the same email or phone number to create a new Instagram account after deleting my old account?
Yes, you can use the same email or phone number to create a new Instagram account if the old account has been deleted. However, you won’t likely be able to use the same data if an account is already processing.
What should I do if I have trouble deleting or disabling my Instagram account?
If you are likely having trouble deleting or disabling your Instagram account, contact Instagram’s customer support for help.
In conclusion, deleting or disabling an Instagram account can be straightforward if you follow the right steps. However, it is crucial to note that it cannot be recovered once you delete your Instagram account. Whether you delete or disable your account, consider all your options and understand the implications before deciding. Or, if you are likely confused and want to take a break, you can always log out of your Instagram account for a few days.