In this guide, we will discover: How to Fix Outlook Disconnected from Server Error: Top 11 Methods – guide 2023
Are you getting Disconnected status on Outlook? Know how to fix the Outlook disconnected from server issue.
Outlook is basically a desktop-based email client which also has a web version. The biggest benefit of using the Outlook app is the work offline feature. This feature allows you to work on Outlook even without an internet connection. When the connection is back, the offline works get automatically synced.
But the problem arises when you need to check your email or send an urgent email to your client, but Outlook shows Disconnected status. It means the email application is in offline mode. If you’re facing this Outlook disconnected issue, continue reading. Here, I’ll tell you how to fix Outlook disconnected from server issue.
What Is Outlook Disconnected Error?
When you open your Outlook desktop application, your Inbox should appear on your screen by default. When your Outlook is online or connected to a functional internet, the Inbox should show the updated emails.
But, when it fails to connect to the internet, it shows Disconnected on the Outlook status bar or the bar located at the bottom of the Outlook window. It means Outlook is completely offline, and whatever work you do now will be stored on your computer until Outlook connects to its server.
Also read: How to Automatically Forward Email in Outlook 365
How to Fix Outlook Disconnected from Server: Best Solutions
Here are the troubleshooting methods you can try to fix the Outlook problem. I’ve recreated the steps on a Windows 11 PC. However, you can also follow them on dated desktops/laptops, like Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, etc.
1. Access Email From the Web Version of Outlook
If you’re in urgent need of using Outlook, we suggest you use Outlook on the Web (personal users) or Outlook Web App (business users). Since it’s the web version of Outlook, it won’t have the disconnected issue. Once you’re done, you can move to the following methods to fix Outlook disconnected from server problem.
2. Disable Offline Mode on Outlook
The first thing you should do to resolve this error is to disable the Work Offline feature of this app. With this mode enabled, Outlook won’t connect to the internet.
- Launch Outlook.
- Click on the Send / Receive tab on the Outlook ribbon menu.
- Check if the Work Offline option is enabled. If yes, it’ll be highlighted.
- Now, click on that button once to disable it. It won’t be highlighted anymore.
- Relaunch the app to use Outlook in online mode.
3. Check Network & Internet Settings
An unstable or disconnected internet connection could be another major reason why your Outlook shows disconnected. So, You should always check your internet is stable and available at an optimum speed. If it’s not, you should try using another internet connection to resolve this issue.
4. Disable VPN
Trying to use Outlook with your VPNs enabled could stop the app from connecting to the internet. So, when Outlook disconnected from server issue appears, check if you have any system-wide VPN, such as apps like Windscribe, ExpressVPN, or NordVPN, turned on. Contrarily, if you’ve set up any manual VPN using your own VPN servers, follow these steeps to deactivate all system-wise VPNs:
- Click the network icon on the System Tray.
- The System Tray is located in the bottom-right corner of the Taskbar.
- Select the Settings or cogwheel icon on the network interface on System Tray.
- Click on Network & internet. You can also access this by pressing hotkey Windows + I.
- Click on VPN on the right side of the screen.
- Active VPNs will be available in the VPN connections section.
- Disable the active VPNs by disabling their respective toggle buttons.
Also read: Which is Best? ExpressVPN vs NordVPN
5. Disable Microsoft Defender Firewall
Your Microsoft Firewall could be the reason why Outlook is disconnected from the server. You need to disable the Firewall using the following method:
- Click on Windows + I to open Settings.
- Select Privacy & security on the left pane.
- Look at the right side to click on Windows Security.
- Choose Firewall & network protection.
- Click on the Domain network option and disable the Microsoft Defender Firewall toggle button.
6. Check With Exchange 365 Admin
If you use Exchange Server connected Outlook, and the server admins have disconnected your Outlook account, you may get Outlook disconnected from server error. So, you should always ask your Exchange 365 admins if they disconnected your Outlook account from the main server.
7. Watch Out for the Password Mismatch
When you change your Outlook password on the web app and open the desktop app after that for the first time, Outlook might get disconnected from the server due to the password mismatch. If you get the disconnected error after a password change, make sure to log in to your Outlook desktop app using the new password.
8. Sign Out and Sign In Again
Another way to fix Outlook disconnected from server issue is to sign in to this application again. For that, you need to sign out of Outlook first. Here is how to do that:
- Open the Outlook application and select File.
- Select Office Account from the left pane.
- Under the User Information, you’ll see the Sign Out link below your name and email address.
- Click on the link, and you’ll be signed out of the app.
- Launch Outlook again and sign in using your username and password.
Now, you shouldn’t see the disconnected error, and Outlook should function without any issues.
9. Create a New Profile
You can also try creating a new Outlook profile and accessing the app through that. Here are the steps to create a new profile:
- Open Outlook.
- Click on the File tab. The Info section will open in front of you.
- Open Account Settings drop-down list to open a menu.
- Select Manage Profiles.
- Click on Show Profiles… button.
- On the next screen, click on Add…
- Set a profile name and click OK.
- Now, add email credentials and wait for automatic setup.
- The new profile will be added to the list.
- Click on the radio button for Always use this profile, and select the new profile from the drop-down menu.
- Click on OK and restart Outlook to see if this can fix the disconnected issue.
10. Disable Add-Ins
Sometimes, Outlook add-ins are the reason behind Outlook disconnected from server issue. To know if Outlook add-ins are responsible for this issue, you need to perform the following steps:
- Launch Outlook.
- Click on File and select Options.
- Outlook Options windows will appear.
- From the left pane, choose Add-ins.
- For the Manage drop-down menu, select COM Add-ins and click Go…
- You’ll see a list of available add-ins.
- Uncheck all the add-ins and click OK.
- Now, close and restart Outlook to see if it’s disconnected or not.
- If the problem is fixed, add-ins are the reason behind it.
To find out which add-in is causing this problem, follow the mentioned steps to access the add-in list and disable one add-in at a time to see which one brings back the error.
11. Restart Outlook in Safe Mode
When none of the above methods work, opening your Outlook in Safe Mode is the last thing you could try. Click on your Start button and locate the Outlook app icon. Now, press the Shift key and click on Outlook. Don’t let go of the Shift key until you see the Choose Profile dialog box on your screen.
Choose your Outlook profile from the drop-down list and click OK. The Outlook will open in Safe Mode. If you’re getting the disconnected error due to Outlook’s internal settings, this workaround should resolve that.
While Outlook lets you work offline, sometimes it’s crucial that Outlook is connected to the server and works online. Unfortunately, Outlook disconnected from server is a common issue that can happen to anyone at any time.
If you’re looking for a solution to this problem, you’ve come to the right place. In this article, I’ve stated the best methods to fix the Outlook disconnected from server issue. If you want to add any other approach, you can mention that in the comment section.
Don’t forget to share this article with your friends on social media. Also, read about library not registered error in Outlook.