TeamViewer is undoubtedly one of the top-rated software in the world for controlling your devices remotely. The program is used by millions of users every day and allows you to control the devices of other users from anywhere in the world over the internet. The remote access software is available on various platforms like Windows 11, macOS, Android, iOS, Linux, Raspberry Pi, and Chrome.
TeamViewer allows you to get help from an assistant regarding any technical problem. The lightweight software offers an easy to use interface and allows you to transfer files between PCs, chat, and host meetings as well. However, the program is reported to have its fair share of problems. So, in this article, we will tell you how to fix TeamViewer not working in Windows 11 issue on your PC.
Why is TeamViewer Not Working in Windows 11?
There are a number of reasons why TeamViewer is not working on Windows 11 PCs. If your computer doesn’t meet the minimum resource requirements, then it could be the reason the TeamViewer program is not working. Sometimes, the program suddenly disconnects from the remotely connected PC or just shows a black screen instead of the host computer’s desktop.
Many times, some corrupt files or bugs / glitches on your system could prevent the TeamViewer app from working properly on your Windows 11 machine. Some users have reported getting messages like “an unexpected error occurred” while operating the remote assistance program, which could also cause the blue screen of death.
It’s worth mentioning that TeamViewer requires a stable and fast internet connection to work properly. So, the TeamViewer app could unexpectedly log out of a remote session if you are connected to a spotty network. Some other things like enabled UDP, faulty DNS settings, system proxy settings, enabled IPv6, and an outdated version could also be the reason why TeamViewer is not working in Windows 11.
Fix TeamViewer Not Working in Windows 11
In this extensive troubleshooting guide, we will tell you a number of solutions to fix TeamViewer not working on Windows 11 issue on your computer. That said, let’s dive into the article to fix if TeamViewer is not working in Windows 11.
1. Restart Your Computer
If the TeamViewer application isn’t working correctly on your device, then the first solution you can try is restarting your computer. Once you restart your PC, it will be rebooting all the services related to TeamViewer and other apps in their factory state. So, here’s how to fix TeamViewer not working in Windows 11 problem by restarting your PC.
1. Press the Windows button on your laptop’s keyboard and hit the Power button in the bottom right corner.
2. Click on the Restart button from the multiple options on the screen.
3. If you get a prompt on the screen like “shut down all programs before restarting”, then just ignore them and proceed to click on the Shut-down option.
4. Now, wait for your computer to restart properly. After it reboots, simply open the TeamViewer app and it shouldn’t show any errors or crashes.
2. Check if Your PC Meets Minimum Requirements
It’s worth mentioning that TeamViewer requires certain hardware and software sources to be compatible with a Windows 11 computer. So, if your computer doesn’t meet the system requirements, then the remote assistance program may not function properly on your device. Sometimes, the program may not run at all or could suddenly crash or close a remote session with another PC.
So, you will need to make sure that your Windows 11 computer meets the minimum requirements to run the TeamViewer app smoothly. Listed below are both the minimum and optimal system requirements to run the TeamViewer program on your Windows 11 computer.
TeamViewer Minimum System Requirements:
- Operating system: Windows 7 (32/64 bit)
- Processor: 1GHz single-core or higher
- RAM: 2GB
- Storage: 250MB of free space
- Graphic card: 256MB of VRAM
- Internet bandwidth: 20Mbps
TeamViewer Recommended System Requirements:
It’s worth mentioning that if your PC meets the recommended system requirements, then you will get a more immersive and smooth experience while running the TeamViewer application. So, listed below are the TeamViewer recommended system requirements for Windows.
- Operating system: Windows 11 (64bit)
- Processor: 1GHz dual-core or higher
- RAM: 4GB
- Storage: 500MB of free space
- Graphic card: 512MB of VRAM
- Internet bandwidth: 100Mbps or more
So, check all the system requirements mentioned above including the RAM, storage, processor, graphics, and internet speed. Unfortunately, if your Windows machine doesn’t meet these requirements, then you will need to upgrade the hardware as well as the internet connection of your device.
3. Use Older User Interface in TeamViewer
TeamViewer is one of the most easy to use remote assistance programs available on the interwebs. The latest version of the TeamViewer application comes with two different user interfaces.
Many users have reported that they were able to fix TeamViewer not working in Windows 11 PC on their devices by switching to the older user interface. So, here’s how to switch to the older TeamViewer user interface.
1. Click on the Start button on the task bar and type “TeamViewer” in the search bar, then open the app.
2. Once the remote access program boots up, click on the Settings icon in the left pane on the main screen.
3. In the new window, click on the option that reads “Go to this device’s settings”, which is located under the Your device section.
4. Now, click on the General tab, which is located on the top of the left navigation pane.
5. Then, switch off the toggle for the Use new TeamViewer interface option.
6. Now, you will get a dialogue box to confirm switching to the older version. Press on the Restart button and TeamViewer will close & reboot with the older user interface.
After following the above steps, try to make a connection with a remote computer and see if the problem is solved or not. If it doesn’t, then try one of the other solutions listed below.
4. Force Quit & Restart TeamViewer
Many times, the root cause of an app not running properly on a Windows 11 device could be a conflict with other services on the system. Some buggy services could be preventing TeamViewer from working as expected on your Windows machine. In this scenario, you can try to fix the issue by force stopping the app and restarting it back again.
1. At first, right click on the Start button and then hit the Task manager button from the list of available options.
2. Once the Task manager opens, scroll down till you find the TeamViewer service.
3. Now, right click on the service and hit the End task option from the drop down menu. If there is more than one service, then do the same for the other services as well.
4. Then, simply go to your desktop and double click on the TeamViewer icon to restart it again.
5. Provide TeamViewer Admin Privileges
Usually, most of the applications on Windows 11 computers can simply operate without administrator rights. However, remote assistance apps sometimes require administrator rights to work efficiently. So, to fix TeamViewer not working in Windows 11 issue on your device, you will need to kick it off with admin rights.
1. Press the Windows key on your keyboard and type “TeamViewer” in the search bar.
2. On the first result, right click and hit the Run as administrator option in the drop down menu.
3. Another way to do the same step is by right clicking on the TeamViewer icon on the desktop and selecting Run as administrator from the drop down menu.
6. Change Access Control to Full Access
If you are not able to completely control all features of the remotely connected PC, then you will need to get complete access to it. In addition, if the other computer assisting you with something is having similar issues, then you will need to change the access control to full access.
1. Hit the Windows button and type “TeamViewer” in the search bar and open it.
2. Once it opens, click on the Gear icon at the bottom left corner of the screen to open TeamViewer settings.
3. On the new Window, click on the Go to this device’s settings button under the Your device tab.
4. Then, hit the Advanced setting tab in the left navigation pane and click on Open advanced settings on the right side.
5. Now, a new TeamViewer Options window will open, here click on the Advanced tab at the bottom of the left navigation pane.
6. Then, scroll down to the section called “Advanced settings for connections to this computer”.
7. Finally, click on the Access Control button and choose Full Access from the drop down menu.
It’s worth mentioning that you will also have to ask your remote assistance partner computer to do the same, so you can get full access to their PC when you are assisting them.
7. Lower the Connection Quality
Many users have reported that they are able to remotely connect to another PC without any problems. However, they are able to barely see anything on the screen. This could be happening due to a bad internet connection and you are seeing the screen of the remote computer in bad quality. In this case, you will need to lower the connection quality, so here’s how to do it.
1. First of all, follow the Step 1, 2 & 3 from the Solution 6 above to get into the TeamViewer settings.
2. In the left navigation pane of the Settings, click on the Remote control tab.
3. Then hit the Display tab to adjust, optimize, and define basic display options.
4. Now, click on the Quality option and choose the best option, depending on your internet speed.
You get to choose from three options including Automatic quality selection, Optimize Quality, and Optimize Speed. We recommend you select Optimize Speed to get the best results. Once done, connect to a remote PC and see if you are getting better results.
8. Disable Windows Security Feature
Moving on to the other fixes, many times the Windows Security functionality on your PC could be preventing the TeamViewer app from functioning properly. In this case, you will need to turn off Windows Security or your PC’s antivirus software program. Here’s how to turn off the real time protection on a Windows computer.
1. Click on the Start button on the task bar. Then, type “Windows Security” in the search bar and open the first result.
2. From the available multiple tabs, hit Virus & threat protection option.
3. Now, scroll down and hit the Manage settings button option, which is located below the Virus & threat protection setting section.
4. On the next window, simply switch off the toggle for the option that reads “Real-time protection”. It’s worth mentioning that you can also turn off the switch for the Cloud-delivered protection option.
The above solution is for turning off real time protection in the Windows Defender. If you have a third party antivirus software installed, then turn off its real time protection in the program’s settings.
It’s worth mentioning that make sure you switch on the real time protection functionality once you are done using TeamViewer. Because turning off this feature leaves your PC vulnerable to viruses and malware.
9. Allow TeamViewer in Windows Defender Firewall
Many times, you could be having issues with the TeamViewer app on your device due to misconfigured settings in the Windows Firewall. In this case, you can fix TeamViewer not working in Windows 11 error on your PC by giving the app the necessary permissions in the firewall.
1. Press the Windows key on your PC and type “Windows Defender Firewall” in the search bar and open it.
2. Then, look for the “Allow an app or feature through Windows Defender Firewall” option in the left navigation pane and click on it.
3. In the new dialogue box, click on the Change settings option.
4. Then, scroll down till you find the TeamViewer applications and check mark both the private and public options.
5. Now, simply hit the OK button and start the TeamViewer app on your device. It should begin to function correctly without any crashes and all.
10. Reset Your Network
If you are getting errors like “not able to connect to the remote computer”, while trying to establish a connection, then there could be some issue with your network. There’s a possibility that the TeamViewer is not getting access to the internet, even when you are connected to a network.
So, you will need to reset your PC’s internet settings to see if it fix TeamViewer not working in Windows 11 issue.
1. Press the Windows + I buttons on your keyboard at the same time to kick off the Settings application.
2. In the left navigation pane, click on Network & Internet tab.
3. Now, scroll down till you find the Advanced network settings and click on it.
4. Then, scroll down to the Network reset option and hit it. Then click on the Reset now button on the next tab. This will completely reset your network settings.
5. Now connect to a Wi-Fi network and see if the issue is fixed. If it’s not, then go to the same Advanced network settings window and click on the More network adapter options tab.
6. Here, you will see the list of all the network adapters you have on your computer.
7. Now, right click on the network adapter you use regularly and hit the Disable button from the drop down menu. Then, wait for a few seconds and right click on the network again, and finally click on the Enable option.
If the aforementioned steps are not working to fix TeamViewer not working in Windows 11 issue for you, then you can always restart your Wi-Fi router. If you are using a mobile as a hotspot, then enable the Airplane mode and disable it, and it should fix any issue with TeamViewer for you.
11. Update TeamViewer to Latest Version
Many times, an outdated version of software could prevent it from working as expected. So, if you are having trouble using the TeamViewer app, then there’s a possibility that you are using an old version.
The old version of the app could be having some bugs and glitches, so you will need to update the app. If you have downloaded the app from the Microsoft Store, then here’s how to do it.
1. Click on the Start button on the task bar and then go to the search bar and type “Microsoft Store”, and then open it.
2. On the home screen of the Microsoft Store, click on the Library icon, which is located at the bottom left corner.
3. Now, click on Get Updates and all of your applications will be upgraded to the latest version, including the TeamViewer app.
Now, any bugs or glitches with the TeamViewer app will be fixed, so open it and try to make a remote connection or accept one.
12. Reset & Repair TeamViewer App
Moving on to the other fixes, many times, there could be some issues with the settings or data of the TeamViewer application on your computer. So, you can try to repair and reset the TeamViewer program from the settings app.
This method will completely delete all the files, settings, and cache files of the TeamViewer software to their factory settings, so here’s how to do it.
1. Open the Settings app on your PC by pressing the Windows + I keys on the keyboard at the same time.
2. Now, click on the Apps tab in the left navigation pane and then proceed to hit the Installed apps menu on the right.
3. Then, type “TeamViewer” in the search bar and click on the three dots next to the TeamViewer application’s listing in the results.
4. From the drop down menu, click on the Advanced options and scroll down to the Reset menu area.
5. Here, press both the Repair and Reset options. Then, open the TeamViewer application and see if all the problems are fixed or not.
13. Repair Corrupt Files
Many users have indicated that they were able to fix TeamViewer not working on Windows 11 issues on their PC by repairing corrupt files. This can be done by using the SFC and DISM commands in the PowerShell utility.
1. Hit the Windows button and type “PowerShell” in the search bar, and open it.
2. In the new window, type the “sfc/ scannow” command and hit the enter button.
3. After the SFC command is executed, type and run the three DISM commands mentioned below. You will need to execute one by one.
“DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth”
“DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth”
“DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth”
Both the SFC and DISM commands will find and repair any corrupt files on your Windows 11 machine. Once these are done, make sure to reboot your computer before you open the TeamViewer app again.
14. Flush DNS & Reset Winsock
If you do a lot of networking like opening various sites and using network related applications, it accumulates a lot of data in the DNS cache. This could also cause some misconfiguration in the DNS settings. Sometimes, your system’s Winsock settings may also be corrupted, which could cause an issue with the TeamViewer app.
In this case, you can try to fix any problems by flushing DNS as well as resetting your computer’s Winsock settings. Here’s the process you can follow to delete DNS cache and reset Winsock settings on your Windows 11 PC.
1. First of all, hit the Start button and type “command prompt” in the search bar, and open it as an administrator.
2. In the command prompt, type the “ipconfig /flushdns” command and hit the enter button to delete the DNS cache.
3. Once the “ipconfig /flushdns” command is executed, proceed to type the listed below commands one by one and run them as well.
“Netsh winsock reset”
“Netsh int ip reset”
Now, you will need to restart your computer to reflect the complete changes.
15. Change the DNS Settings
If flushing the DNS cache and resetting Winsock settings don’t work to fix issues related to the TeamViewer application on your device, then you can always try to change the DNS settings. So, here’s how to change DNS settings on Windows 11 computer.
1. Press the Windows + R buttons on your keyboard at the same time, which will open the Run utility.
2. Type “ncpa.cpl” in the command bar of the Run prompt and hit the Ok button. It will open the list of the network adapters on your machine.
3. Now, right click on the network adapter that you are currently using and then hit the Properties option in the drop down menu.
4. In the new pop-up window, scroll down till you find the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP / IPv4) option in the list and double click on it.
5. Then, go to the Use the following DNS server addresses section. Type “126.96.36.199” in the Preferred DNS server section and put “188.8.131.52” in the Alternate DNS server section.
After reconfiguring the new DNS server details, click on the OK button and the new DNS settings will be reflected on your system. It’s worth mentioning that you will be required to restart your computer to fix TeamViewer not working in Windows 11 issue.
16. Disable IPv6 Settings on Your PC
One of the other solutions to fix TeamViewer not working in Windows 11 issue on your PC is by changing the internet protocol address. It’s worth mentioning that the older IPv4 protocol is more popular as not all the Windows 11 computers support the newer IPv6 protocol. That said, you can try to disable the IPv6 protocol on your system to fix any issues with TeamViewer.
1. Follow the first four steps from the Solution 16 above to open your network’s settings.
2. Now, scroll down till you find the listing for Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP / IPv6).
3. Then, uncheck the box before it and hit the OK button.
Now, your PC will start using the previous generation IPv4 protocol. Simply, open the TeamViewer app and see if it has fixed any issues related to it.
17. Disable Hardware Acceleration in TeamViewer
TeamViewer utilizes your computer’s graphics card to improve the performance of the remote connections using a feature called hardware acceleration. However, sometimes this function can crash or disconnect a remote session during the connection if you don’t have enough resources.
It’s possible that this feature may cause compatibility issues with the TeamViewer app. So, you will need to disable the hardware acceleration feature.
1. Open the TeamViewer application on your Windows computer and hit the Settings icon in the left navigation pane.
2. Now, click on the Go to this device’s settings option below Your device section.
3. Then, press the Advanced button in the left navigation tab and hit the Open Advanced settings on the right.
4. Now, scroll to the bottom of the screen on the right and check mark the option named “Disable hardware acceleration”. Then, simply restart the TeamViewer application on your device and it should be working fine now.
18. Disable Proxy Settings in TeamViewer
Sometimes, the proxy settings in the TeamViewer application could be preventing it from running properly. So, you will need to disable the proxies in the settings of the TeamViewer app.
1. Follow the Step 1 and Step 2 from the solution number 18 to go to the advanced settings of the TeamViewer app.
2. Now, click on the General tab in the left navigation pane.
3. Then, click on the Configure button right next to the Proxy settings under the Network settings section.
4. In the new dialogue box, check mark the No proxy option.
5. The final step is to hit the OK button in the dialogue box and restart the TeamViewer application to see the changes.
19. Try Disabling UDP Settings
Multiple users on forums have suggested that they were able to fix TeamViewer not working in Windows 11 problem on their PC by disabling the UDP feature in the settings. They were able to fix problems like slow performance, freezing, lags, crashes, and others by disabling the User Datagram Protocol setting., so here’s how to do it.
1. Open the TeamViewer app on your PC and click on the Gear icon to open its settings.
2. Click on the Go to this device’s settings and hit the Advanced setting tab on the left.
3. Then, click on the Open advanced settings option and a new window will open.
4. Here, hit the Advanced tab on the left and scroll down to the Advanced network settings section.
5. Now, uncheck the box before the Use UDP option and restart the TeamViewer application.
20. Restart TeamViewer Services
Many times, some services from other programs could cause issues with the TeamViewer application on your Windows 11 computer. In this case, you can use the Services utility to stop the TeamViewer service and fix any issues that you are having with it.
1. Right click on the Start button on the task bar and hit the Run option from the drop down list.
2. Type “services.msc” in the command box and hit Ok.
3. The Services window will open, so scroll down till you find the TeamViewer service.
3. Right click on the TeamViewer service and choose the Restart option from the drop down menu.
4. Now, re-open the TeamViewer application on your computer and try to host a remote session with another PC.
21. Update Display Drivers
Many users on the interwebs have complained about getting a blank or a black display, after connecting to a remote computer. However, many TeamViewer users have reported on the app’s forums that they were able to fix this problem by upgrading the display or graphic drivers of their devices.
So, you will need to check if you have the latest display drivers on your machine or not. Here’s the step by step process of how to update display drivers of Windows 11 computers.
1. First of all, right click on the Start button on the task bar and select the Device Manager function from the various options.
2. Now, look for the Display Adapters tab and expand the drivers list by clicking on the down arrow icon.
3. Then, right click on your PC’s display adapter and hit the Update driver option in the drop down menu.
4. On the new screen, press on the button that reads “Search automatically for drivers”.
5. Now, the operating system will start searching for new drivers for your display and automatically download & install them.
It’s worth mentioning that make sure that your PC is connected to an internet network when you are searching for new display drivers. Once they are installed, close the Device manager utility and open the TeamViewer app and it should behave as intended.
22. Roll Back Display Drivers
Many users have reported that they were not able to fix TeamViewer not working in Windows 11 problem on their PC even after upgrading to the latest drivers. However, they tried to roll back to the older display or graphics drivers and it fixed any issues with the TeamViewer app.
1. Open the Device manager utility by following the first step from the above solution.
2. Then, expand the list of the display drivers and right click on your PC’s graphic card.
3. From the drop down list, hit the Properties option and a new dialogue box will open.
4. Now, click on the Driver tab on top of the screen and click on the Roll Back Driver button.
5. Then, simply hit the OK button and your computer will start utilizing the previous version of display drivers the next time you open the TeamViewer app. This should fix any crash related problems with the remote control app.
23. Uninstall & Reinstall GPU Drivers
If both the solutions including upgrading and rolling back display drivers solution don’t fix TeamViewer not working in Windows 11 problem, then simply uninstall them. When you uninstall the drivers, the PC will remove all the settings related to them and refresh them, once you reinstall them again.
1. Open the Device manager utility by going through the Start menu on the task bar.
2. In the Display adapters section, right click on the graphics card of your choice and hit the Uninstall device button.
3. Now, restart your computer and it will automatically detect the graphics card without any drivers. Then the operating system will automatically install the latest drivers for the graphics card.
24. Update Windows 11 to the Latest Version
Sometimes, the TeamViewer application may not function properly on your computer due to an outdated version of the operating system. In this case, you will need to upgrade your machine to the latest version of the Windows 11 OS to fix issues related to any apps, including TeamViewer.
1. Hit the Windows + I buttons on your keyboard to open the Settings application.
2. Now, click on the Windows Update button, which is located at the bottom of the left navigation pane.
3. Then, hit the Check for updates option on the right side and your PC will start checking for any new version of Windows 11.
4. Once the new version of the OS is downloaded to your device, simply click on the Install button.
It will take several minutes to upgrade to the latest version, depending on your machine’s configuration. Make sure that you don’t turn off your device while installing the new version. Once the PC reboots, any problems related to the TeamViewer application should be fixed.
25. Uninstall & Reinstall TeamViewer
If none of the above fixes are working to fix TeamViewer not working in Windows 11 issue for you, then you can always uninstall & reinstall it. After doing it, you will have the latest version of the TeamViewer application and all of its settings, files, and system services will be brand new.
1. First to uninstall the TeamViewer app, right click on the Start button on the task bar and hit the Settings button from the drop down menu.
2. Then, hit the Apps tab on the left and Installed apps on the right side.
3. Click on the three dots next to the TeamViewer app’s listing and hit the Uninstall button. It will completely remove everything about the remote access program including its system files and cache files.
4. Proceeding to reinstall the app, open the Microsoft Store from the Start menu.
5. In the search bar of the store, type “TeamViewer” and press the enter button on the keyboard.
6. In the search results, click on the official TeamViewer Remote application.
7. On the app’s listing, click on the Install or Get App button.
8. Now, the Microsoft Store will download the app and install it.
9. Then, select the “I accept the EULA and the DPA” option and press continue.
Post the installation, you can simply launch the app by double clicking on its icon on the desktop.
TeamViewer is certainly one of the most popular remote assistance software as suggested by the number of people who use it across the world. It offers a handful of interesting features like allowing you to remotely control any PC using an internet connection on the planet. Apart from that, you also get features like hosting meetings, chatting, and transferring files between different computers.
That said, just like any other Windows program, TeamViewer also has its fair share of problems. We hope that our extensive troubleshooting guide to fix TeamViewer not working in Windows 11 issues has helped you. Do share this article with a friend or colleague who is facing similar issues.
If you haven’t used the app yet, do read our guide on how to install and use TeamViewer in Windows 11 guide. Another alternative to TeamViewer is AnyDesk, so also check out our guide on how to install and use AnyDesk on Windows 11.