In this guide, we will discover: How to Make a Folder on Desktop in Ubuntu – Easy Beginners Guide 2023
So, let’s begin!
Do you want to create a folder on the Ubuntu desktop but don’t know how to? This guide features several methods to do that.
By Oluwaseun Bamisile | Updated April 20, 2023 | 8 minutes read
Specifically, I will teach you four ways to make a folder on the Ubuntu desktop. Hence, you will learn how to execute this task through the context menu and by using a keyboard shortcut.
This guide will also demonstrate how to add a new folder in the Ubuntu desktop through the file manager and via the terminal.
By the way, I will include an FAQ section in this guide. That section will answer a couple of questions people frequently ask relating to this guide’s topic.
Before we proceed, it is crucial to note that this guide was written using the Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Linux-based OS. Due to that, the procedures provided may differ slightly if you use other versions of the Ubuntu Linux OS.
The most common way to add a new folder to the Ubuntu desktop is through the context menu. The following procedures will demonstrate how to do that.
- Right-click any free area on the Ubuntu desktop, then select New Folder from the context menu that appears.
- Following that, give the folder a name and press the enter key or click the green OK button beside the input box.
Create a Folder on the Desktop in Ubuntu Using a Keyboard Shortcut
Impressively, there is a keyboard shortcut that allows Ubuntu users to create a folder on the desktop easily. To do that, follow the procedures listed below.
- On the Ubuntu desktop, press the Shift + Ctrl + N keys simultaneously to create a new folder.
- Once the folder has been created, give it a name and click the OK button beside the name field.
Make a Folder on the Desktop in Ubuntu Via File Manager
Another way to create a folder on the Ubuntu desktop is through the file manager. Follow the steps and screenshot images below to learn how to accomplish that.
- On the Ubuntu dock, click the Show Applications icon to access the application menu. Then, type “file” in the search field and select the Files icon from the search result to open the file manager.
- In the file manager, select Home among the options on the left pane.
- Then, in the Home folder, double-click Desktop to open it.
- Now, click the Options icon beside the search icon at the top of the file manager window. Then, select New Folder from the displayed options to create a new folder.
- Finally, give the folder a name via the dialogue box that appears, then click the green Create button.
Create a Folder on the Desktop in Ubuntu Via the Terminal
Interestingly, you can also create a folder on the desktop of your Ubuntu computer by running a simple command in the terminal. To accomplish that, observe the subsequent procedures below.
- Access the application menu by left-clicking the Show Applications icon on the Ubuntu dock. Then, type “terminal” in the search field and select the Terminal program from the search result.
You can also use the Ctrl + Alt + T keyboard shortcut to open the terminal in Ubuntu.
- Now, execute the following command to navigate to the desktop directory.
- Following that, run the subsequent command to create a folder on the desktop. However, replace “folder-name” with the name you wish to give the folder.
For instance, if I want to name the folder “itechguides,” below is what the command should look like.
Frequently Asked Questions
The keyboard shortcut to create a new folder in the Ubuntu operating system desktop is Shift + Ctrl + N.
No, it doesn’t. As a matter of fact, Windows 10 can use almost double the amount of RAM as Ubuntu.
Yes, you can. To do that, follow the procedures below.
a) On the Ubuntu dock, click the Show Applications icon to access the application menu.
b) Then, type “file” in the search field and select the Files icon from the search result to open the file manager.
c) In the file manager, select Home among the options on the left pane.
d) Then, in the Home folder, double-click Desktop to open it.
e) Now, click the Options icon beside the search icon at the top of the file manager window.
f) Finally, select New Folder from the displayed options to create a new folder.
Yes, the Ubuntu Linux-based operating system is free and open source.
A folder in Ubuntu is an area containing files and other folders to help keep your computer organized.
My Final Thoughts
Ubuntu is a Linux-based operating system known for its stability and security features. Furthermore, Ubuntu allows users to customize the desktop to their liking, such as by adding a new folder.
Fortunately, this guide demonstrated several methods to create a new folder on the Ubuntu desktop. To be specific, we discussed how to perform this task via the context menu and by using a keyboard shortcut.
This guide also taught us how to make a folder on the desktop through the file manager and via the terminal.
I hope you found this guide helpful. If you did, we would appreciate it if you could share your thoughts with our community platform at Itechguides Community Forum.
Through Itechguides Community Forum, you can also ask questions or make comments regarding this guide’s topic. Our forum staff and/or some community members will respond to your questions or feedback as quickly as possible.
Finally, visit our Linux how-to page to get more Ubuntu Linux guides like this.