If you like to fall asleep while listening to music on YouTube Music, you may find it helpful to set a sleep timer. YouTube Music will automatically pause playback after a set amount of time, so you can rest easy knowing that your phone won’t be running all night and draining the battery or affecting your sleep negatively. In this guide, we’ll show you how to set up and use a sleep timer in YouTube Music for mobile and desktop.
Set Sleep Timer in YouTube Music for Android and iPhone
Previously, it was not possible to set up a sleep timer in the YouTube Music app. So, users had to rely on workarounds and third-party apps to set a sleep timer. Fortunately, this has changed with a recent update.
Here’s how you can use the native sleep timer option in the YouTube Music app for Android or iPhone:
Note: We have used an Android phone for capturing screenshots for this article. However, since the YouTube Music app has a similar user interface on both Android and iOS, you can use the following steps on any smartphone.
1. Open the YouTube Music app and play any song or playlist.
2. Tap the kebab menu (three dots) in the top right corner and select Sleep timer from the bottom of the list.
3. Select your preferred option for the timer: 5 minutes, 15 minutes, 30 minutes, or 1 hour. Selecting the End of track option, as the name implies, will pause the playback once the current song or podcast ends.
Modify or Cancel Sleep Timer in YouTube Music on Mobile
If you accidentally set a sleep timer or wish to extend it, the YouTube Music app gives you the option to modify or cancel it. Here are the steps for the same.
1. Open the YouTube Music app on your Android or iPhone and tap the music player at the bottom.
2. Tap the kebab menu (three dots) in the top right corner and select Sleep timer from the resulting menu.
3. Tap Add 5 minutes button if you want to extend the timer. Alternatively, if you want to remove the timer, tap the Cancel timer button.
It’s important to note that if you have selected the End of track option, you won’t see an option to extend the sleep timer. In that case, you will need to cancel the timer and set it up again on YouTube Music.
How to Set Sleep Timer in YouTube Music for Web
YouTube Music does not have an official desktop app, so you can only use it in a browser. Unfortunately, the web version of YouTube Music does not come with a native sleep timer feature. However, you can use a browser extension called YouTube Sleep Timer to accomplish this. Here’s how to use it.
1. Install the YouTube Sleep Timer extension on your browser.
2. Open the YouTube Music web player and play any song, album, or playlist.
3. Click the extensions icon on the toolbar and select YouTube Sleep Timer from the list.
4. Enter your preferred time value in the box and click Start.
To remove the sleep timer, click the YouTube Sleep Timer extension and click the Cancel button.
You can also use this extension to set a sleep timer on YouTube too.
1. Why can’t I find the sleep timer option in the YouTube Music app?
The sleep timer option may not appear if you are using an outdated version of the app. Head over to the Play Store or App Store to update the app and see if that helps.
2. Can I use the Clock app on my iPhone to set a sleep timer?
Yes, you can use the Clock app to set up a sleep timer in the YouTube Music app.
3. Does the sleep timer feature require a premium subscription?
No, the sleep timer feature can be used by both free and premium users.
Let Music Lull You to Sleep
A sleep timer feature can come in handy when you want to fall asleep to music but don’t want to accidentally leave your phone playing all night. As we just saw, setting up a sleep timer is a quick and pain-free process, regardless of whether you are using an Android, iPhone, or computer.
Did you know that your iPhone also comes with sleep settings to help wind down and sleep better? Learn how to use it now.