iMessage includes a feature that allows you to share your location with your contacts, providing real-time location updates. This feature enhances communication and provides an ongoing update of your location to those who have been granted access.
However, there may be instances when you might not want to share your location anymore, or you may mistakenly share your location with the wrong contact.
With the introduction of iOS 17, you now have two simple methods to stop sharing your location with a specific contact. These methods are designed to be easy and efficient to use, ensuring that your location privacy is well-protected.
Turning Off Location Sharing from Messages
- Launch the Messages app and head to the contact conversation with whom you have shared the location.
- Tap on the location-sharing thumbnail to continue.
- Next, tap on 'Stop Sharing location' at the bottom of the screen.
- If the thumbnail is buried deep under the conversation, tap on the 'Account picture/initials' to continue.
- After that, tap on the 'Stop Sharing my location' option.
Once you have ended the location sharing, the location thumbnail will display the same in the conversation thread.
If you do not wish to end the location sharing but wish not to be tracked for a while, you can turn on the Airplane mode on your iPhone, which will restrict the other person from learning your current location. However, this also disables all cellular and WiFi connections.
- Bring down the action center by swiping down from the top right corner of your iPhone.
- Then, tap on the 'Airplane' icon to turn on the Airplane mode.
When enabled, you shall see a little 'Airplane' icon instead of your carrier name on your iPhone screen. To disable the airplane mode, simply tap the icon again.
iOS 17 presents an innovative feature allowing users to request the location of another party. In addition, it provides a novel method for interacting with locations shared or received from contacts. Furthermore, the update enhances user privacy by offering multiple options to cease sharing your location with others.