In this guide, we will learn: How to Use Google Docs Pageless for Maximum Focus and Collaboration – guide 2023
Are you interested in a continuous and distraction-free page set up on Google Docs that’s reading, writing, and collaboration friendly? You must try Google Docs Pageless today!
As more households and offices are going paperless in a bid to save the environment or minimize the cost on the monthly budget, cloud-abased word processing apps like Google Docs are winning big.
People are sharing more Google Docs files via Google Driver link sharing rather than printing the documents and mailing them through USPS.
With the growth of market share for Google Docs and the growing need for more productive work, Google is also adding stunning features to this great app, like inline emojis, dropdown chips, project management, tablet templates, and a lot more.
One of the latest and fresh addition is Google Docs Pageless for focused reading, writing, and content creation. Read until the end to become an expert on this new Google Docs feature that has taken Microsoft Word or LibreOffice Writer by surprise.
The standard word processing apps as we saw until today look pretty much the same. There’s an A4 or Letter size writing space in front of the screen with one-inch margins on all four sides.
Also, there are page breaks between two pages. Not to mention, other printing properties like header, footer, page number, and columnar paragraphs of texts.
However, Google is changing the trend! It has introduced a Pageless format for writing articles on Google Docs. That’s not all! You can add wide-screen images, tables, etc., from other sources without making them look awful.
Furthermore, instead of cramped writing space and unnecessary distractions, the new writing space is completely white, or the background color you want.
Moreover, you get an infinite whiteboard-like feeling. You can invite team members for collaboration directly on Google Docs and bring any content on Docs without compromising its continuity.
Conventional word processing tools reflect printing elements more easily. You get a clear picture of what you’re writing, that’s going to be the output on a physical paper.
Since cloud adoption is eliminating the need for printing documents for office, home, or school usage, Google Docs Pageless is the new format of content creation online.
Now that you have found out what’s all the buzz about the Pageless Google Docs, find out how to get this feature on your Google Docs files below:
How to Make Google Docs Pageless on the Web
Setting up a Pageless Google Docs is really effortless on the web or Chromebooks, and here are the instructions you must follow:
- Click File on the top menu bar of Google Docs.
- You should locate the Page setup option at the bottom of the context menu.
- Click Page setup.
- On the Page setup dialog box, click the Pageless tab.
- Now, just click OK to apply the changes to the current file.
You can make Pageless Google Docs a default for writing and reading on Google Docs under your Google Account by simply clicking the Set as default button inside the Pageless tab.
If you wish to switch all the Google Docs of your Google Drive to Pageless Google Docs, simply open each document and follow the above steps.
Note that you won’t get the following elements of Google Docs anymore if you switch to Google Docs Pageless format. However, when you switch back to the Google Docs Pages format, you’ll get these components if these were available on the original document:
- Headers and footers
- Page numbers
- Text columns
- Page breaks
How to Switch to Google Docs Pageless on iPad or iPhone
If you’re a fan of iOS devices like iPad and iPhone but still like to use Google Docs on the Apple operating system, Google won’t disappoint you. There’s a Pageless feature also for the iOS app of Google Docs, and here’s how to activate that view on an iPad:
- Run the Google Docs app from the Apps Library.
- Tap the plus (+) icon to either create a new document or open a document template.
- Tap the kebab menu or ellipsis icon to access the More section of the app.
- There, you should find the Page setup menu.
- Tap on that and then toggle on the Pageless radio button.
How to Do Pageless in Google Docs on Android
The Pageless writing and reading style on Google Docs is also available for Android tablets and smartphones. Here’s how you can activate Pageless for Google Docs:
- Open the Google Docs app.
- From the Docs Home Screen, tap the plus (+) sign on the bottom right corner to create a new document.
- Once on the new document page, tap the three dots menu (More) in the top right corner.
- Select Page setup and then toggle on the Pageless view.
How to Change Text Width on Google Docs Pageless
After entering a Pageless environment, you might see that all the texts you type are still in the middle of the screen. There are empty pages on the left and right sides. The only difference you might see is an all-white screen or the background color you selected.
Then what’s the specialty of Pageless?
The specialty lies within the Text width feature. Choose from any of the options outlined below:
How can you choose any from these Text width options? Pretty simple if you follow these steps:
- Click the View tab on the Google Docs menu bar.
- Hover the mouse cursor over the Text width option.
- You should see the above four choices.
- Click any, and the text distribution on the document will change from wrapped to unwrapped format.
Alternatively, you can follow these steps:
- Right-click on the gray strip on the left and right sides.
- You should see the Text width element on the context menu that shows up.
- Hover the mouse over Text width to see the text distribution choices described earlier.
How to Change Background Color on Google Docs Pageless
Don’t like the white background on your Google Docs file in the Pageless format? No worries! You can now change the background color in a few simple steps as outlined here:
- Click File on the Google Docs document.
- Select Page setup.
- Then, go to the Pageless tab.
- At the bottom, you must find the Background color option.
- You’ll see 72 different pre-set color choices.
- If these aren’t enough, you can click the Custom button to get a color wheel.
- Now mix and match using the mouse cursor to create a personalized color.
- Alternatively, you can enter Hex codes and RGB codes to set up a background color.
Google Docs Pageless: FAQs
What Is Pages vs Pageless Google Docs?
Pages is the printable format of Google Docs. When writing content in the Pages mode, you always see how the final piece will show when you print it on an A4 or any other paper size.
On the contrary, Pageless is the infinite writing and content collaboration mode of Google Docs. Here, you can add wide tables from Google Sheets and import widescreen images without distorting the view.
Pageless offers more focus on writing and reading as compared to the Pages format.
Why Is Google Docs Pageless?
The Pages format of Google Docs is more suitable for the printing industry. On the contrary, the Pageless view is perfect for cloud sharing. Also, designing and content development teams can brainstorm on Google Docs infinite document rather than buying a digital whiteboard app.
So, that’s pretty much everything you need to know to become a Google Docs Pageless master. Now, you can get more content creation done or collaborate easily with remote colleagues on Google Docs.
Switching back to the old format is also effortless. Simply follow the steps mentioned above and choose Pages instead of Pageless in the Page setup menu of Google Docs.
Now, give the Pageless feature a try and comment below about your writing and reading experiences.