Microsoft releases a new insider preview build to the Dev channel alongside Canary channel. This is a Halloween week and so many might have not expected the update. But its here if you are a part of Windows 11 Insider program in the mentioned channel.
The new Windows 11 update to the Dev channel comes with build number 23580 and the new update to the Canary channel comes with build number 25987. Both are small incremental updates with a couple of changes.
Windows 11 Build 23580
Windows 11 build 23580 come with access to Copilot in Windows for users with local accounts. It is currently available for limited number of queries without sign-in.
And it comes with improved nearby share transfer speed if users are on same network, public or private. And there are a few fixes too.
- Fixed an issue where using mouse back and forward buttons didn’t react when hovering over the Recommended Files section of Home.
- Fixed an issue where Gallery would stop displaying correctly if you applied Group By to all folders.
- Fixed an issue that made the desktop tooltips in Task view hard to read in contrast themes.
- Fixed an issue that was causing taskbar icons to disappear after switching desktops.
[Search on the Taskbar]
- Fixed an issue where if your taskbar was close to being full of icons and you used the search box, clicking the search box would open search and then it would immediately close.
- Fixed an issue which was resulting in Windows Spotlight wallpapers not showing correctly in the desktop thumbnail in Task View.
Windows 11 Build 25987
The new weekly update to the Canary channel brings an option to install WiFi driver (that you have previously downloaded) if its not installed during the Windows setup. Also in new clean installation, Windows Maps and Movies and TV apps will not be pre-installed. Here’s the full detail.
Changes and Improvements
- During setup (OOBE), when you need to connect to a network and there’s no Wi-Fi drivers, you’ll be given an option to press an “Install Drivers” button to install drivers you have previously downloaded. You will see this change using the ISO for Build 25977 provided here for download and higher.
- Starting with this build, the Windows Maps and Movies and TV apps will no longer be installed after doing a clean install of the OS. The Windows Maps and Movies and TV apps will not be removed on upgrade for Insiders in the Canary Channel and continue to be available and updated via the Microsoft Store.
- We’ve designed the settings page for Delivery Optimization under Settings > Windows Update > Advanced options > Delivery Optimization to match the Windows 11 design principles.
- PNG files now support viewing and editing metadata – for example, if you’d like to set a star rating in Properties, edit the description, or add keywords.
Fixes for known issues
- Fixed an issue causing File Explorer to crash in Windows Sandbox when using a non-English display language.
The new Windows 11 updates are rolling out to users who opted for the Insider program in the Dev channel or Canary channel. If you don’t know these are like beta builds but each channel has different roles to play. If you want to join you can join Beta, Dev, or Canary. To check for the update go to Settings > Windows Update and check for updates.