By IpekDanju Yasar Maasoglu Nahide Maasoglu
Within a short time, a number of North African and Middle Eastern countries have moved from authoritarian regimes to initiate the process of democratic change in what is called the 2011 revolutions or the Arab Spring. These unexpected and unpredicted revolutions were real political surprises in those countries as well as outside the countries. This paper explores the role of social media in the lead up to the uprisings of 2011. On the basis of meta-analysis of published and electronic sources, the paper seeks to argue that social media and social network sites had played a catalytic role in the 2011 revolts in North Africa and Middle East.
- Arias, 2011
- Arias, M., (2011). Arab Revolution versus Western Democracy? About riots in Arab world. Eikasia. Revista de Filosofía, año 38. http://www.revistadefilosofia.com.
- Cattle, 2011
- Cattle, S., (2011). Media and Arab Uprisings of 2011: Research notes. Sage, 12 (5) 647-659. http://jou.sagepub.com.sndl1.arn.dz/content/12/5/647.
- Caglar and Demirok, 2010
- Caglar, M., and Demirok, S., M., (2010). Students Computer Skills in Faculty of Education. Cypriot Journal of Educational Sciences, 5. 203-211. www.world-education-center.org/index.php/cjes.
- Ege, 2012
- Ege, A., (2012). Creativity as a Methodology and Multiculturalism as an attitude in social siences Teaching and Learning. International Journal of Learning and Teaching, 5 (1). 2-12.
- Ghannam J, 2011
- Ghannam J (2011). Social Media in the Arab World: Leading up to the Uprisings of 2011. Washington, DC: Centre for International Media Assistance.
- Ghorbani et al., 2012
- Ghorbani, M., Kazemi, H., Shafaghi, M., Massah, H., (2012). An Assessment of Relation Between Self Efficacy and Cognitive /Emotive Creativity. Global Journal of Guidance and Counselling, 2. 08-13.
- Hosseini et al., 2012
- Hosseini, S., M., M., Nejhad, M., M., Askari, V., and Tavakoliford, H., (2012). Citizenship Culture Educating City According to COP Model, Global Journal of Sociology, 2. 01-14.
- Keser et al., 2011
- Keser, H., Uzunboylu, H., and Ozdamli, F., (2011). The Trends in Technology Supported Collaborative Learning Studies in 21st Century, World Journal on Educational Technology, 3 (2). 103-119. www.world-education-center.org/index.php/wjet.
- Kneissel, 2011
- Kneissel, K., (2011). Elements For A Scientific Analysis Of The Arab Revolutions In Spring 2011. AAS Working Papers in Social Anthropology (May 2011). Available at http://epub.oeaw.ac.at/wpsa/wpsa21.pdf. Accessed 14.12.2011.
- Layla and Al-Zubaidi., 2011
- Layla and Al-Zubaidi., (2011). Layla Al-Zubaidi. People’s Power: the Arab World in Revolt (2 May 2011). Political analysis and commentary from the Middle East.
- Nielsen and Miller, 1997
- Nielsen, M.E., & Miller, C.E. (1997). The transmission of norms regarding group rules. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 23, 516-525.
- Poorkarimi and Hasani, 2012
- Poorkarimi, M., and Hasani, N., H., (2012). Why and How Effect Arts Education in the Perspective of Educational Psychology. Global Journal of Arts Education, 2. 07-10.
- Taki and Coretti, 2013
- Taki, M., and Coretti, L., (2013). The Role of Social Media in the Arab Uprising – Past and Present. Westminster Papers in Communication and Culture, 5 (2), April 2013. Accessed from Westmister.ac.uk/research/a-z/camri/wpcc.
- Vatuiu and Vatuiu, 2012
- Vatuiu, T., and Vatuiu, V., E., (2012). The Effects of Globalization on Developing Economies. Global Journal of Business, Economics and Management, 2. 7-14.
- Yaya and Baskan, 2012
- Yaya, D. and Baskan, G., A., (2012). Opinions of Research Assistants working in the faculties of Education Regarding their Workload and Workload Qualifications. Contemporary Educational Research Journal, 2. 29-43. http://strongvpn.com/.
- a PhD Candidate İpek Danju, Near East University, Ataturk Faculty of Education, Department of Training Programs and Teaching, North Cyprus.
- b PhD Candidate Yasar Maasoglu, TRNC Near East University, Ataturk Faculty of Education, Computer Education and Instructional Technology, North Cyprus.
- c Nahide Maasoglu, Eastern Mediterranean University, Department of Visual Art and Visiual Communication, North Cyprus.